Monday, May 22, 2006

Orange, thou usher confusion.....

I saw the sun come up last night (for complete details, most notably including the crazy uber-goth blood moon, please refer to Miss Lester B’s blog for a riveting retelling of events)...............well, perhaps not literally - I wasn’t actually looking at it or anything.........but I was still awake, no where near my bed and the sneaky thing came up - this never bodes well for my sleeping which is fairly sketch at the best of times. I really can’t sleep properly if I’ve seen morning light.........I don’t know why. And this whole turn of events was pretty unexpected - I’d actually figured it’d be a pretty early night and I’d probably come home, relax, hang with the pup, read some.........not so much.....my late night excursion with the jay to my silent bob (it has to be that way.........I’ve got the coat, you’ve been known to have the pot.....between the two of us we *might* swear that much........) actually offered an escape from an earlier unexpected turn of events..........unintentionally but still.............I can be quite the sucker for punishment sometimes (which it dawns on me frequently corresponds with those nights on which I see the sun come up..........wacky; it might be a theory worth looking into with the assistance of my tin-foil-hat-wearing-oprah-hating-conjectural-almost-roomates) but that hppily didn’t really get to fulfill itself yesterday..........instead we observed and pondered intently as the world around us seemed to crack at the seams, and unbeknownst to its softly sleeping inhabitants St. John’s seemed to transform into a police state, at least for a time..........

The rest of the weekend was a little *less* epic and/or mystical.......I went to the last Magnus Rising show, which was really fun (despite the fact that I headed down to the show in a ridiculously crappy mood). The single best anecdote of the evening would have to be a friend of mine pointing out to the guitarist that his Les Paul, it seemed, was showing wear on the varnish on the back, where his crotch rubbed up against it.......(this is extra funny to me - my friends seem to have an odd penchant for saying incongruous things to this poor guy). In all seriousness though, I enjoy them more almost every time I see them............so I really am going to miss them when they leave in a few weeks...........and as was pointed out to me at the show, with them gone and Cyprian AWOL, there aren’t too many metal bands currently around the city to get excited about......not many bands, period, actually - Jigger don’t play enuff, Bung are.....well, bung, and therefor cannot be expected to play with any regularity, Sheavy seem to have something in the works though.......and actually there might be a few things to look to. Brains have a last show this weekend, with Swords, et all - I’m pretty excited to check out this new venue (tho I’ll miss the kebab place - their chef was really sweet even if their heating system was imaginary) the alternative (despite the *horrible* name - which is up there with naming your band, say, Helloween). JKW have a show the weekend after that and I’m pretty sure we’ll see Jigger and Sheavy later in the month...............well maybe not me - I’m still debating heading for the capital to check out Pelican and Mono, but we’ll see..........

In other random news the show seems to have resulted in me being asked to play bass in a metal band...........this is pretty excellent, and a teeny bit daunting as I own neither a bass nor an amp, and have only ever played Metallica and Black Sabbath songs on one - but I have a burgeoning interest in picking it up, and a selection of metal chicks (and metal guy sporting newly flowing locks, as I’m told) seem willing to take a chance on my learning curve - not too bad. Seems like bass then will be my project for the summer............unfortunately it dawns on me that most of the bassists I know are going to be leaving St. John’s over the next couple of weeks so looks like I’m mostly on my own............. but actually I can think of one bassist I know who should be around and she also happens to be one of the nicest people I think I’ve ever met, so maybe she'd be willing to help me out if I need it...........

oh, and on an unrelated note I really like the way other blogs have you list what you're listening to........as far as I can tell blogger does not but I figure it'd be cool to list it just the same, so.........

music: In FLames - Come Clarity

3 Comments:

Blogger Lady Cove Women's Choir said...

Josh Ward comes back on July 2nd, so you two should hook up for some serious bass metal action.
I'm actually proposing this because I miss you and that is a guaranteed way to get you in my house.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Rian said...

You know, I read the post and thought, Josh wont be gone too long. Little did I know that someone would beat me to it.

6:15 PM  
Blogger les said...

Hetero life partners. Beats the shit out of dating any day.

Thanks for taking me out to dinner. It was chick pea-alicious.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home